Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lifesaver!

You guys know I'm old school. I'm virtually the 8th wonder of the world when it comes to technology. It's pretty much baffling considering I'm under 30, a working professional, I blog, I tweet, I use technology everyday.... I finally joined 2001 and got a laptop for Christmas! It has changed my life! And just like my friends told me...it has changed our marriage. Ha! Next on my list is updating my cell phone. We don't even have a land line at home. We just use our cell phones which isn't entirely uncommon, but you would think we would have super sonic cell phones. Not this girl. My phone isn't that different from the one in the picture below. I'm channeling Zack Morris with my LG Shine.

I can hardly function without my cell phone. I have it on me at all times and I often think about how on earth we survived before constant communication. How did anyone even go to the grocery store without it? I would have come home without 5 items crucial to Dave's survival unless he had the ability to call me 3 times with last minute substitutions. And he teases me that my car won't even go into "drive" without me being on the phone. I hate to admit it, but it's partially true. Our schedules are generally full in the evenings, so that is when I catch up with friends and family. And Heaven forbid I spend a few minutes in SILENCE with my own thoughts!! *shudder*


I like to think I'm a really good and really safe driver even with the phone to my ear yackety-yacking, but am I as great as I think I am?? I'm sure you've all heard about (or maybe you saw) Oprah's show last week on texting and driving (if not, click the link). I didn't see it, but I have read the re-cap on her website and I have seen her video asking people to pledge to put down their phones while driving. It really is crazy to think of how many accidents happen and how many lives are lost to texting while driving. A friend of my sister lost his sister to a texting and driving accident. It has crippled his family and it's heartbreaking to think it could have been avoided.

How important is my text anyways? I'm pretty sure me asking Bradley when The Bachelor starts really can wait! Besides, we all know I know what time it starts! Don't kid yourself.

I have joined the no texting while driving bandwagon and it might not always be easy, but I know it will always be worth it. Unfortunately, I have the dark ages phone where I have to literally type out each letter. Like hit the 4 three times to type an "i". But those of you with the Blackberry, you are in luck! Have you heard about their FREE app that is so fabulous?? You can turn it on before you get in the car and it will announce your incoming texts and read it out loud to you! It is the DriveSafe.ly app and you can read all about it by clicking that link. I tried to Google to see if there was an iPhone app and I didn't see anything. So if you are an iPhone user and you know of something like this, let us all know in the comments.

Have you made the pledge?

7 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Your decision to not text while driving just saved a life! Thank you!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

i totally agree now....i'm scared to death of what could happen! i now wait until i get to where i'm going. i have little ones (well one is 13) watching my example in the car. i want my children safe esp when they start driving! good post!

Jules said...

What will they think of next?! That is such a cool app :) I am such a textaholic, so this will be downloaded tonight :)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Wow, I didn't know that app existed, lol!

Alissa said...

Your Zack Morris line just cracked me up. I have been guilty of texting while driving and I'm not proud of it. It's so darn tempting, but I vow to not do it anymore. Yes, I think it truly can save lives. Talk about a cool app to bad I don't have an iphone.

annalee said...

alright, i needed this reminder!
i quit texting in the car when adelaide was born.
but now with the iphone it's so tempting to check email, etc. at red lights.
i'm promising not to do that anymore either. it's so not worth it!

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog this morning and adore it! Great stuff. Zack Morris was awesome. I think everyone needs the reminder to not text. New follower and just wanted to say hi! Happy Sunday.