Thursday, January 7, 2010

California Dreamin' on Such a Winter's Day! (Plus a dinner recipe and an answered question!)

I tell you what, I am failing miserably on the jealousy thing today because I am totally jealous of anyone in Pasadena to watch the Longhorns kick some Alabama booty tonight! Can I get an amen?? It is FREEZING here today! (I know those of you who live in Minnesota and those of the like are rolling your eyes big time here, but I'm a Texas girl born and bred and it.is.cold!!) The wind is seriously whipping and we are getting the "arctict blast" that makes going outside not so pleasant. California sounds much more appealing!

On a completely unrelated note, thank you guys so much for your kind comments about our wedding and your well wishes for our anniversary! I also got a couple of comments and e-mails after my mom's birthday blog asking about the chalkboard wine glasses...they are from Pier 1, they are only $3 each, and they are so much fun! *PS...whenever you see bold, colored words it's normally a link. Either to a post or to a product. They have stemless wine glasses, high ball glasses, and carafes.

I digress...the other night I made one of my favorite dinners, taco salads. It's one of my favorites because it is really good, but also really easy! The first time I made them Dave complained that there was no way he could eat only a salad for dinner, but he did and he really, really liked it! I'll admit that he actually eats 2, but who's counting? I make my own shells and they are not fried. These are great for a party or for a party of 1!

Ingredients:
Foil
PAM cooking spray
Burrito size tortillas
1 lb ground beef (or fajita chicken, or beef fajita meat)
Pkg taco seasoning if you're using ground beef
lettuce
Pinto beans (Black beans, ranch style beans, refried beans can also be used.)
Any toppings you like! We use cheese, black olives and avocado.

Directions: Preheat oven to 425. Loosely wad a ball of foil and place it on a baking sheet. Drape a tortilla over the top and spray the entire tortilla with PAM cooking spray. You can fit 2-4 shells on your baking sheet depending on the size. You don't want them to overlap because you want them to brown all over.

Place the tortillas in the oven and cook until lightly browned. Generally about 8 minutes. I like mine crispy, so if it is not brown enough I leave it in a bit longer.

Brown your ground beef and drain. Add in taco seasoning and let simmer. Heat up your beans, get out your toppings, and fill your taco shells with lettuce....it's that easy!

You can shape your tortillas around the foil slightly, but they will "fall" and conform more as they cook. Also, just lightly wad your foil otherwise it will take your whole roll to make one foil ball!

Here they are all sprayed and ready to bake...

Wha-la! Your crispy, non-fried taco shells. Since Dave eats 2 I usually cook his second one while we are eating. My oven only cooks 2 comfortably. If you do these for a party, you might want to start cooking your tortillas before your guests get there since you have to bake them in shifts.

We use Chuy's jalapeno ranch as our dressing, but you can use salsa, ranch, whatever you prefer. Enjoy!! HOOK'EM HORNS!!!

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looks so yummy!!! I am going to have to try this!!

Leigh said...

Yummy Im going to have to try this!! I love taco salads but Ill be honest....I usually just crush some chips and poor on the goods! Im SUPER pumped for the game too but I have to say ROLL TIDE ROLL!! Dont hate me though!! ;)

Amanda Leigh said...

What a cute idea with the tortillas! Never thought to do that before. Definately giving it a whirl!

Annie said...

great idea! we love taco salad...but I never thought to make my own tortilla bowls! i will give this a try next time!! thanks for sharing :)

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm going to have to pick up some of those wine glasses! Thanks for the comment on my picture. I'm loving the camera also! Although, I still have a lot to learn as well...it's been fun so far :)

pammycakes said...

thanks for the recipe! i am going to try that!

katie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And this recipe looks fabulous. I'm going to have to try it very soon.

The Undomestic Mom said...

Oh I love that idea---Im so doing that! We usually just put chips on the bottom but I love the idea of making the tortilla bowls! Hook'EM!

Lindsey said...

GREAT idea! When I make tacos, my husband uses soft shells and I usually just make a salad.. now I will use his soft shells to make my own little bowl!

Chic Runner said...

What a great idea!! You are so smart! :) I will for sure be trying this soon :) Thanks!

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

Ummmm yea, its balls cold out today! I have been wanting snow or ice as a day hunkered down with my honey sounds nice.

We too have those chalkboard glasses- got them as a gift after I bought a kegerator for D- ours are pint glasses.

Liz said...

OOOH! I love this idea with the shells AND the creamy ranch. I may be making this for dinner tomorrow night!!! Thanks T-Rog. :)

XOXOXOXOXOXOX Miss you.

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

That is amazing! I am absolutely going to try this, we eat mexican once a week at least-bizarre I know!!

Jennifer @ MillerMusings said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it is always nice to find another Texas girl! Great idea on the tortillas, I'm definitely going to have to try this. Hook 'em!

Elicia said...

The shell idea is great! I'm going to have to try that.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

love the bowl idea. i bet the kids will love it...i'm gonna give it a go for next weeks meals! thanks