Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Who wants to be left out at Christmas??

Last night, at dinner, Dave and I were talking about some of our friends and their kids, and how fun Christmas would be at their house. We had learned what they were wanting for Christmas and we were talking about how there are just certain ages that kids are really really fun. We started talking about some of our favorite Christmas presents and who of our siblings was always the first person down stairs and how Christmas morning unfolded in our homes growing up. And then I said....

"I can remember peeking into the living room and looking on the mantle to see if Santa had eaten the cookies and drank the milk! And I got so excited when there was a half eaten cookie, an empty glass of milk and the carrots were half eaten!"

If it had been a TV show there would have been that scratching record sound....

Dave said, "CARROTS????? Why did you leave carrots?" And at that moment it was as if I were looking into the eyes of a stranger. A stranger who apparently didn't care a thing in the world about the reindeer! I told him that we left cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. And how my dad would always take huge bites out of the carrots and leave teeth marks so we could see the reindeer had eaten them. How else would they get their strength to fly the Big Guy all over creation??

It was a bit of a shock to my system that we are two people who are sharing our 6th Christmas together and I'm just now finding out something as important as reindeer neglect! I wonder what other skeletons he has in his closet?? What are your Christmas traditions? Did you leave cookies and milk for Santa and completely neglect the reindeer? If so, I bet they were happy as larks when they hit up our house! Did you make homemade cookies or was Santa taking down Oreos at your house?

If this is Santa's first rodeo in your home here are a few plates you can get personalized for your family!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your story! Im pretty sure I just made the same face when I read the line about the carrots! lol! Hello.. the deer have to eat too!!
We had a neighbor who would walk by my bedroom window with bells, right after my parents put the presents out! I would freak out and run into my parents room, then I would pull them out of bed to go see the livingroom!

lesli said...

what a funny story! I've never thought about the poor reindeer! y'all think of everything! those plates are darling=)

Kim said...

I totally left carrots for the reindeer too! And I'm sure my dad took bites out of them so I thought the reindeer has eaten them. And I'm definitely continuing that tradition when we have kids too!!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

We always did carrots for the reindeer too! Those plates are so darling!

Suburban Princess said...

I always left cookies, beer and carrots for santa when I was growing up and even as an adult! One Christmas morning my dad told me he heard Santa grumbling about the missing beer lol I had been out at a party and came home at 5am so missed taking the cold beer out for Santa!
We have a plate and mug set for santa we use every year and our little guy will carry on the tradition!

Elicia said...

Umm, we totally had carrots for the reindeer! And somehow the carrot tops ended up on the roof too. Amazing, right? :)

We had dinner with friends the other night. They are thinking about not doing Santa for their kids! Blasphemy!

Emily C. said...

we always did doughnuts and milk... i think b/c terry wayne loved his doughnuts :)

Unknown said...

We never forgot the reindeer...but we gave them Cheerios...which is totally weird now that I think about it!

Perpetual Prep said...

Adorable story :) Made me smile!
sHp

Annie said...

what an adorable story!!!
the plates are super cute :)
I guess we forgot about the reindeer :( only left cookies n milk for the big guy.

Children of the 90s said...

That's so cute, I never heard of the carrot tradition, either. I love those personalized plates, too! I don't celebrate Christmas, but growing up I was always jealous of all my friend's decorations.

Jessica said...

that's pretty funny!! It was always exciting to see the crumbs left on the plate and just a tiny bit of milk in the glass still. We left carrots for the reindeer too, but come to think of it...I don't know if parts of the carrots were left or if they were all gone. We used to have to sit at the top of the stairs till Mom and Dad were ready....mostly we had to wait on Mom, Dad would go downstairs and start the coffee. He would say "wow...look at all the stuff Santa left!!" As soon as we got the word, we torn down the stairs! So fun.

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

Boy did you catch me sleeping on my to do list!! I am glad you saw the award, you totally deserve it-I mean how could you not with a blog name like that:)

In This Wonderful Life said...

haha! I LOVED leaving things when I was a kid! These plates are precious! you know what.. no kids yet..one on the way... I think I just may set out goodies this Christmas eve ;)

but will I be sad when it's still there. I'll give hubby hints to wake up and eat it before I wake. hahaha

Gay (Allie's Mom) said...

My kids left cookies & milk but they sprinkled oats mixed w/ glitter on the grass for the reindeers. The reindeers ate the oats and the glitter served as a sparkly reflexion so the reindeers could see the scattered oats on the grass...as I write this it sounds weird but made perfect sense to us.