Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We Walk Alike, We Talk Alike, Once a Year we Even DRESS Alike...

The family Christmas card picture. Ahh...the Thanksgiving weekend tradition dating back as long as I can remember. Mom would spring it on us as close to last minute as humanly possible so that even though we knew it was coming, we could hold out hope that this year she may have forgotten. When we were all at home it was one of those things where she would literally wait until 1 hour before photo time and then hand out outfit orders so she would only have to argue with us and listen to us gripe and moan for the hour before the pictures were taken. Now it poses more of a problem because for the last 10 years at least one or all of us has been in college or now live in scattered areas across the US. This means she has to show her cards 5 days early so we can all travel with the appropriate black or white top to make the photo a success.

This year was no exception. The chosen color was black, and even though (as we point out EVERY year) we are all creeping alarming closer to 30 and have no desire to dress alike, it is a losing battle. In her defense, it is her card and her picture to blow up above the mantle, but in our defense it goes out to a lot of people WE KNOW TOO.

We all know I have a black turtleneck (or 4) for just such an occasion, but Dave only has one lonely black item in his closet and it is short sleeved. Mom pulled out one of her button downs and offered it to Dave but he kindly declined. Apparently she had made a call to Nana informing her of our wardrobe woes and she came down in due time with a MOCK turtleneck for him from her closet. He gave that the kindest capital "H" no he could muster. In his defense, I do think it was 80 degrees, but now we'll know to find something black and long sleeved for him for future family portraits. :)

When all was said and done we made Danny Tanner (A.K.A mom) very happy. She was pleased with the way the pictures turned out and one will be appearing on our mantle before Christmas...rest assured.

Here is a sneak peak of some of the photos because I know you are dying to see! Because Nana came down with her mock turtleneck we put it to good use and took a "girls" picture. And the last one is the picture I used for our Christmas card! (Which many of you will be getting alarmingly close to Christmas since I just ordered them on Saturday...oops!)

And while we're at it, let's call a spade a spade...I will probably have my family dress alike at some point for the sheer fabulousness of a uniformed picture. I am my mother after all....

13 comments:

Laura said...

those are super cute pictures!! your mom does crack me up!! but one day you will look back and cherish them all!! and yes..you are right...you'll probably do the same thing!

melissa said...

That is just too funny. I would definitely be the one in my family begging everyone to take a family picture. I'm always asking them to get out of their pajamas on Christmas so we can take a picture. It never works. Maybe when I have my own kids and they have to listen to me. haha

Susannah said...

Hahahah! Mental image of your husband and a mock turtleneck!!! THat is so funny! The pictures do look great though!

The Stokes Family said...

Those are great pictures!

Liz said...

Your pic with Dave is SO cute! Though, I would have DIED to see him in a mock turtleneck. Died, I tell you.

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! I am a big picture person and Christmas card person myself...To cute!!

Angie said...

You have a beautiful family! Cute blog too :))

Lindsay said...

I'll have to tell John you found my blog! Small world!

tootie said...

The picture came out great, though! Everyone looks good in black. (So maybe your mom knows what she's doing after all! :)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Those are great pictures!! And I love the Danny Tanner reference. :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Fabulous pictures....and a great blog...Your pictures are great...Visit my holiday blog for new tree pictures and my main blog for a MIRACLE story...
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

katie newton said...

LOL... PLEASE get a pick of Dave in a mock turtle neck. I'm with Liz... I would just die. :):) LOVE the one of you two!!!

52 Faces said...

That's awesome. I want a family like that.

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to take Christmas photos wearing matching ugly holiday sweaters to send to our friends, maybe this year will be the year.