Thursday, December 17, 2009

It doesn't belong to me...It's always belonged to her.

With Christmas fast approaching and a bit of cooler weather creeping into my Texas days I have been longing for New York City. I have been itching for a ride on the subway. Yearning for an unnecessary and unsuccessful trip through Macy's because it's my mother's mothership. Craving a Magnolia cupcake for breakfast...just because we can! Pushing through crowds of people because you have to. Longing for a slice of pizza and a glass of wine in a tiny little apartment on the upper West Side. (My sister's old apartment to be exact...)

I love New York. I love it for all of the reasons mentioned above and for many more. But I think one thing I love the most about New York is that it doesn't belong to me. For as long as I can remember, New York City has been my sister's city. It has always reminded me of her and it has always been hers. You see, for her 16th birthday my mom took her on a girls' trip to NYC. It was her first time in the City and the love affair began. She came home saying, "I want to live in New York!" She went to college and spent any spring break, Christmas break and any extra dime she had in the Big Apple. We always knew it would take her away when she graduated from college.

Just like she had planned, she graduated from college, talked a few friends into her corner, and she headed off to the city that never sleeps. She worked hard, prayed harder, and she landed a true dream job with Hearst Publications working for "O" the Oprah Magazine. The day she called home from her first day and she had had a meeting with Gayle King we knew all was right with the world! :)

It was so fun to listen to her tales of her time in the city. She truly soaked up every minute of it and took nothing for granted. She saw plays, spent weekends in the Hampton's, sat courtside (or in the lights...) at the US Open, spent lazy weekends in Central Park, made a trip or two (or TEN!) to the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty with weekend visitors and so many, many other amazing memories. And although I love the city, I am only a visitor. It was her home.

*All of these images are my sisters


This was the view from her office! Floor to ceiling windows looking out over Central Park...

I threw this in for good measure...this was ALSO the view from her office. :) George, filming a commercial in her building. Swoon.

And if you're interested in a few of my sister's stories from the City you can read them here, here and here!

I love you, New York. I'm longing for you New York. It's up to you New You, New York!

15 comments:

Kristen said...

Aw, you've gotta know I love this!

We can share it...

:)

xoxo,

Kristen

Brittany said...

Beautiful picutres. I have been to NYC once during the Holiday season and I can't wait to go back again. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your is way too cute!

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

Adorable blog you have here! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to NYC, but never been. I'm hoping next fall I can make a trip! Thanks for you comments on my blog!

Sara McCarty said...

I heart NY. So great to have a relative that lives there so you can visit all the time! Love the pictures.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

Love these photos!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE NYC! I cant wait till Im there!! 2 weeks to go!!!
thanks for this post! im all excited now!

Jamie said...

My sister lives in NY too! Although she was intent on moving there after seeing Sex in the City.

I love NYC, but I know she loves it more.

great post!

The Undomestic Mom said...

I would die to go to NY during Christmas season! Love those pics!

katie newton said...

I could have written this post. Except I don't have a sister. :)

I am TOTALLY and completely FEIGNING to go to NYC! And to do all the aforementioned things!!!

Dang baby. :)

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful! I really enjoyed my trip to NYC and would love to go back at Christmas!

Jamie Pickle said...

Great pictures. Makes me want to go to New York!! I have only been once but hope to make it there for the holiday season some day!
PS. Super jealous of your sister's job!

Vicki said...

I can hardly stand it! I want us ALL to be there so bad. Gonna have to call up advice of the great one...
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened~
Dr. Seuss
xoxo,

Bethany Michelle said...

Awww love this! But if you ask me, this just gives the Rogers girls a really great reason to come visit NYC sooner rather than later.. :) Merry Christmas!!

alyssa said...

this is sweet

Simply Camylla said...

Oh how I wish I could have an apartment in manhattan!! LOVELY photos!!