Monday, March 30, 2009

When the cat's away...

**Welcome readers from Fingerprints on the Fringe and Shabby Nest! I originally posted this on March 30th the day after I completed this project! Welcome to my recently re-done study!**

Usually when the cat's away the mice will play. In this case, the mice worked their tails off! Dave left bright and early Friday morning for his weekend of testosterone, golf, poker, probably a lot of basketball talk, and overall "guy time". He had been looking forward to this weekend for a while and I was so glad the time had finally come. I had 2 days and 2 nights all to myself! I dreamed of girly movies, a mani-pedi, sleeping in and eating spinach dip and Ritz crackers for a meal and chocolate chip cookies and milk for another meal! Oh the joy....

Imagine my surprise when sometime Friday morning I had a "brilliant" idea to put myself to work the entire weekend. Why not re-do the study? That study has been a burr in my side since we moved in 6 months ago. It is a total modge-podge of furniture from college houses and first apartments. There was a black bookcase, a wooden desk, an old black filing cabinet, a deer head, a white couch and scuffed up yellow walls with so many nail holes it looked like a pin cushion. So, I decided that this would be my super secret project for the weekend. I didn't want Dave to know I was doing it for fear that he might not be too thrilled...and those that know me know that I am a dreamer and a starter. Finishing isn't always my strong suit. This time would be different!! I left work on Friday with high hopes and 15 paint swatches headed for Lowe's. I bought 4 samples of paint in different shades, painter's tape, rollers, painting trays and such and was all set for a night of work and random iPod play lists.

By 10:00pm the room was completely painted!! I woke up early Saturday and headed to Hobby Lobby, Lowe's again, Wal-Mart, IKEA, Hobby Lobby again, Wal-Mart again and finally home. I was in search of mirrors, lamps (floor and table), a rug, curtains, shelves and spray paint. I hung the aforementioned mirror and shelves, and sanded and spray painted the desk black to match the bookcase. It looks 100 times better!! By Saturday afternoon I had the desk moved back in (my dad did come over and help me carry it upstairs!) and all I had left to do was find curtains (which I found at Wal-Mart), hang the remaining pictures and "decorate" the shelves and bookcase.
What was done:
  • Painted the room
  • stripped and painted the desk black
  • new mirror
  • added shelves above the desk
  • hung diplomas
  • new pillows for the couch
  • added curtains
  • I'm still looking for a floor lamp for the right side of the couch and a rug (maybe zebra!)
Check it out!

Before

This is the new paint

The only casualty of war: Rookie is going green!

AFTER!!

Notice how much better the desk looks painted black

I put the deer head back up...we do live in Texas.

PS...Dave was SHOCKED and he loves it! What do you think??

42 comments:

lesli said...

it looks so good! you did a great job, mama! i amazed at how fast the transformation came together!

Kara said...

wow that is awesome...wanna come up to nw ok and do some work?!?!

Elicia said...

That looks awesome, I love it!

Liz said...

WOW!!!!!!!! I'm SO impressed. Looks like a professional did it... awesome.

Courtney said...

WOW! I love it! I'm so glad you were able to get it all done this weekend! Glad Dave approved!

Angie said...

AMAZING and so great! This is inspiring me to maybe quit complaining and go ahead and paint our living room! :)

CDE said...

i LOVE IT!! my favorite color combination is black and white, so this was RIGHT up my alley...great JoB! Random, i cleaned out my study this weekend too...but for other reasons....hehehe..

allison said...

It looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to come to my house!

Ryan K said...

Looks great! Love the clean line look~

Katie Norwood said...

This looks amazing!!! You are really talented, TRog! All that TLC and HGTV during college really paid off. I'm about to move and dreading starting all over. Maybe you'll come to H-town and help??

kristin fulghum said...

excuse me martha...i'm so impressed. nice work. i also love the new blog...very cute and springy.

Kate said...

It looks beautiful Tiffany!!! Great job!!!

Katrina said...

Can you come to my house!? Wow

Thirty Something Girl said...

It looks fantastic Tiffany. I wish I could have done my bedroom in a weekend!!!

katie newton said...

WOW!!! Martha, you outdid yourself!!! By the way, that is so the type of thing I would do- wait until I have a few days to myself, then start a project and work myself to death!!!

Laura said...

Looks great!! And you know me...happy to see the deer head back!! LOL! Also..Rookie wears the green well. Gus ALWAYS gets painted at my house and I always seem to have added "lab hair" texture on my walls! Great job!

Frugal Jen said...

Looks great! You did a fantastic job decorating it!

Grandma~rella said...

Beautiful! Loving the green walls and black desk!

Sarah Robbins said...

I love it! It looks so great, and the deer head is a nice finishing touch!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

WOW! I just love the color! It looks awesome! You did a great job!

Nessa said...

Wow!! What a change, it looks fabulous! =)

Embellished Bayou said...

Beautiful transformation, great job!

Tara G. said...

Beautiful, inviting, cozy! And the deer head fits right in!

tiarastantrums said...

love the colors!!

Leah said...

What a great room! I love the new paint color.

Melissa Miller said...

It is so gorgeous and elegant! :)

tzweed said...

love it! It's so elegant. The desk does look great.

cmeandthree said...

I love the color combination!

sportzmom said...

Great job-it's gorgeous! Wanna come help me paint?

KresserKlan said...

You are a gal after my own heart!
I thought I was the only one who loved loved loved green and black!
FUN,FRESH!!!

Jessica said...

Well done! I love it!

Roeshel said...

You did an amazing job! I love the colors! It's a beautiful room! Thanks for the tour!

Roeshel

Sabrina said...

wow! great job. I can't believe you got it all done in a weekend. It looks wonderful.

Great Auntie D- said...

Your office and home is so beautiful. Such clean lines and so pretty! Love it and LOVE your darllng doggie!!! :))

God Bless!

Sandra or Sanny

Courtney said...

Your office is great!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I think I'm a bit jealous of your office! WOW... what a beautiful space. I love the paint color... so calming. I've got a Power of Paint Party on Wednesdays. I'd love for you to link up your office.

Amber Filkins said...

Looks awesome!! Love it!

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

I am IN LOVE with this room. Add a bed, and I'm movin' in...

Unknown said...

Love that transformation. It looks great with or without the deer head.
Brooke

Jade Creative said...

I applaud your hard work. Very well done! ... now have that manipedi.
darlene

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I love the green color that you chose. And those pillows really add a punch of color to the couch. Turned out great!

iconrugs said...

You have made some interesting points in this post. I think it can be a great look.
Rugs UK