Monday, September 21, 2009

Mini-Makeover...

I've got a long list of to-do's when it comes to our house. We moved in a year ago and we decided at that point that we now have permanent weekend plans! Between the yard, cleaning, a laundry list of honey-do's and a mile long wish list I think it's safe to say there will always be something to do.

When we moved, we had a mod-podge of furniture from our days of singledom that certainly didn't match, but we really had no other option at the time. We are slowly trying to update, upgrade, or reinvent items to help the rooms come together. One of the things I have really wanted to take care of are the bedside tables in our bedroom. We both need a bedside table. I need a place for my chapstick and Dave needs a place for all of his "stuff". I'm not kidding y'all, you wouldn't believe what he accumulates over there. Wallet, keys, CHANGE, receipts, cell phone, glasses, books, gift cards...you name it and it's on his bedside table. I can assure you that our current bedside madness is a complete eyesore. Until last night we had an off white bed, my bedside table was brown and Dave's was black. It was pretty neat-o. We were just trying to channel the college dormitory days. *This "before" picture isn't that great. I forgot to take an actual "before" picture, so this is a photo I had, but you can kind of see the mismatched furniture on either side of the bed.
Dave's grandfather is very talented and has made a ton of fabulous furniture. The table I have been using for quite some time was made by him. Well, I noticed the last time I was at my in-laws that they had another table just like the one I was using in their storage room ready for a good home. So I decided that maybe we could finally have a matching set! This weekend, Dave went hunting and would be passing through his hometown so I sent him with the duty of picking up our new furniture. Yesterday, armed with 4 cans of spray paint I went to work....

The finished product is a set of matching night stands....finally!!! I'm not finished, but it is a great start. I want to get another lamp like the one on my side for Dave's side, and since there are no drawers I am thinking of getting a basket to put on the bottom shelf so that books and things can be put in the basket without all of the clutter showing. I also need to figure out a method of hiding the cords hanging down. But it's a start! Any other ideas for me to help fancy up my new tables??

And here is the finished product....

7 comments:

Elicia said...

Cute! We have hand me down night stands too. I don't know why, it just seems to be the last thing on my list to take care of purchasing!

kristin fulghum said...

cute tables! nice work.

Vicki said...

Cute, good work, inexpensive project, I like it! Get you two matching cord covers, the ones that look ruffled - done and done!
xoxo,

Laura said...

very cute!! you want to come tackle my nursery! i am working magic with all sorts of hand me downs in there! i just need a painter! haha! just kidding! i think that is what dads are for!

In This Wonderful Life said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

Anonymous said...

Looks really pretty! I love decorating!!

lesli said...

I love your little tables! they go perfect=)