It doesn't matter what the justification is, the idea is always the same...food, friends, fun!
This weekend is no exception. Super Bowl weekend is....well, the Super Bowl for pizza companies, beer distributors, tortilla chip makers and Velveeta stockholders. This one Sunday provides as much as 60% more sales than any other given Sunday. Not too shabby!
This Sunday I will be a guest instead of the hostess and I am SO excited! I am going to Bradley's and she has already said she has made Saint's T-Shirts and is working on the King Cake. Lynch and Ryan are bringing the gumbo and I am in charge of appetizers. I have a few ideas up my sleeve! Before I get into my recipe sharing I have to tell you that I could live off of appetizers. They are my favorite part of any meal! I'm more of a snacker rather than sitting down for a full meal, so give me chips and salsa or give me death!
Here are some great recipes (pulled pork sandwiches, guacamole and mint brownies) I shared last year, and below are a few of my favorite quick dips because they are SO easy and very few ingredients...(I don't have pictures for all of them, but I promise they are simple!)
Corn and Black Bean Salsa- Crowd favorite!
- Can of corn- drained
- Can of black beans- drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados sliced (I love avocado so I always put a lot. Use 2-3 depending on the size)
- 1 jar of salsa
- Mix together in a bowl and serve with tortilla chips!
The next dip...I don't even know what to call it. Maybe Yummy Goodness?? - Another crowd pleaser!
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 1 package of sausage- browned and drained
- 1 can of rotel- drained
- Mix together in a bowl and serve warm with tortilla chips
Corn Dip- This is my old faithful. Super easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand in a pinch
- 3 cans of corn- drained
- 2 cups of Mexican blend cheese (You can use Cheddar if you prefer...or in a pinch!)
- 1/3 cup diced jalapenos (If you like a little more spice you can add a tbs of the juice, but watch out!)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1-1.5 cups of mayo
- Mix all ingredients together, place in a baking dish and bake on 350 uncovered for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
And don't forget the Taco Salads! (Click for the full recipe) You could do the corn and black bean salsa, queso, whatever floats your boat for apps and then serve the taco salads in a buffet line. You'll make new friends and keep the old with this one!
Now that we've conquered the food fun, let's talk about the actual party. It's always nice when you can throw a great party but not totally break the bank! Here are some great table/centerpiece ideas (some could be used for super bowl Sunday and some for any other Sunday!) and I just LOVE the idea of using leaves as coasters. I always trim greenery off my trees and bushes and fill the vases around my house.
I hope you are looking forward to your next get together! I'd love to hear your ideas! Food, decorations, great serving ideas, etc. Just link to your blog below and you'll be automatically entered in my "SUPER HOSTESS" giveaway! The winner will get some adorable PJs and my current favorite OPI nail polish. The winner will be announced Monday, so check back!