Monday, February 9, 2009

That's what she said...

My weekend started off in fabulous fashion when I pulled into my driveway on Friday around 5:00pm and noticed my neighbor all spiffed up in his suit and tie. Dave gave him a whistle and was teasing him about his fancy attire when his 2 1/2 year old darling daughter walked out in her very pretty, very fancy dress, hose and patent leather shoes! Man they looked sharp! We were quickly informed that it was the "Father-Daughter Dance" at her pre-school on Friday night. Annie then proceeded to tell me that she got her nails painted, she got her toenails painted, and they had reservations at the local Italian food restaurant. My heart literally melted right there. Then, my friend Sara came outside with the camera and their other darling daughter who is 6 months old. I got to hold her while Sara took pictures of Annie and her daddy before their big date. I was so glad I got to witness the whole event. He got her a little corsage and it was so precious seeing him put it on her. She looked like such a little princess. That basically set the tone for my entire night and I was happy.

Next up was Saturday morning. Dave and I set out to run errands and do all the stuff we can never do during the week....So, we were hungry and Dave chose Round Rock Donuts for breakfast. Tony Horton is rolling over on his Yoga mat right now....so we pulled up and it was literally a bee hive. It was like being at Six Flags with winding lines and "Estimated ordering time" but without the Pink Things. :( We were standing in line outside when this totally goofy guy in his mid 30's, with severe ADHD, walked outside with his girlfriend who had stepped straight out of a Hollister catalogue. They were laughing and had out their camera and were being very loud and boisterous when the guy pulled the biggest donut I have EVER seen out of a box. He was holding it up and they were taking pictures and everyone outside was watching them and laughing.
A picture of the unnecessary item for authenticity...
The guy starts biting into it and this big, diva-type woman comes walking up. I promise on my life the following conversation happened...

Diva: "OH.MY.GOOOOODNESS!! That is CA-RAY-ZY! I didn't know they made 'em that big!!"
ADD Boy: "That's what she said!"
Tiffany and Dave and the rest of the donut shop crowd: laughing/uncomfortable because of the man's obvious pride in his hilarity
Diva: No clue what just happened.

It was pretty dang funny and I proceeded to call my brother immediately because: A) it was TOTALLY something he would say and B) the guy reminded me of his roommate.

Moving on to yesterday...mom has been getting into walking lately and really walking at least 2 miles each day. There is a reason and I will explain more later, but she asked me to come over so we could go for a longer walk so she could see how she felt afterwards. We were hoping to walk between 4 and 5 miles. I showed up around 3:00pm, she was ready to go, so we said bye to dad, I grabbed my cell phone and off we were into the land of Oz. I'm not sure I've seen the wind blow as hard as it was blowing yesterday, but I definitely know I have never tried to walk in anything like that! We hadn't even gotten out of the garage and mom got this huge grin across her face and bent down and said, "look!!" She pulled a $20 dollar bill out of her sock. She said, "I thought we would walk to Chili's and treat ourselves with a Molten Chocolate cake! We can call Dad and have him come get us!" Again, Tony was rolling over on his Yoga mat and in disbelief that I would chase a good, brisk walk with warm, gooey, chocolate goodness topped off with a scoop of ice cream and hot fudge. But you better believe it buddy, because we did it!

The route was kind of crazy and mom started fading around mile 3.5, but she pressed on toward the goal that she might receive the prize. We got to Chili's, mom's legs had a heartbeat and we were so proud of ourselves. I literally laughed out loud at our ridiculousness. We called my dad to tell him of our whereabouts and I'm not even going to say he was shocked, because if you know us, you should know that this would not be a shocking activity/adventure when my mom's involved. He did let out a good laugh and then threaten that he would not come pick us up and we would have to work off our Molten by walking back. That's just cruelty! Dad and Dave showed up like the true knights in shining armour that they are, and not a moment too soon because we were a buck short! :) We ended up making dinner out of it and splitting a sandwich too. Thanks guys! Oh, and we DID take a picture at Chili's with my cell phone to document the event, but I couldn't figure out how to upload the picture...boo! He did retrace our route on the way home and it was 5.5 miles! Go us!!

Here's to another week....

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I mean, the father/daughter dance...melt. Completely presh.

As for the Chili's, it is so beyond typical that I can't even pretend to act surprised.

Chopsticks and Pearls said...

My mouth is watering for that doughnut. Yum!

kristin fulghum said...

what a fun weekend! what is the deal with the wind? it has been crazy windy here too. i'm so impressed you braved it...good thing chocolate cake was waiting at the end.

katie newton said...

first of all- yay you... 5 1/2 miles! Your mom sounds just like you! :)

Secondly, I would have LOST it had I been at the donut shop. Great story!!!! And for some reason, I love that the girl involved had no clue what was going on.

kate mendenhall said...

I like the looks of that donut.

Heart melting at the father daughter PRE-school dance.

Kristen and I walked this weekend with the goal of charred mallows and cookies. (Must run in the family.)