Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How Could I Allow This?

How on earth have I allowed myself to get to day 13 of Breast Cancer Awareness month without you all hearing so much as a peep out of me? It's unlike me and frankly, it's unacceptable! But good news....I have 18 days to make up for it! :)

I kid...kind of. I have been going for my nightly walks and enjoying this gorgeous weather we are having and I have been really reflecting on the 3-Day walk I did last year. Man it was a commitment. Weekends spent walking 36 miles, weeknights spent fitting in 5-6 mile walks when I got home from work and then willing my legs to go 60 miles November 6-8th, 2010.

Boy am I glad I did! It is still the most rewarding experience of my life. Crossing that finish line alongside my mother, who only 4 years before that finish line was in the middle of chemotherapy and. Wow. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I was able to be on the end of that blessing and experience that joy and honor with her, my sister and her best friend Coleen. I'm so thankful! So I have spent some of walks praying for those currently battling breast cancer. Their families who are broken hearted watching their mother, sister, daughter, friend, grandmother...fight. Keep fighting....I promise I'll keep walking!

Before the 3-Day we had always participated in the Austin Race For the Cure...and we're back!! We are always so blessed and humbled by the friends and family that come walk with us. This was our team of over FIFTY people in 2008! All walking and raising funds to find a cure.


I've said it before but I could NEVER say it enough....Thank you. Thank you for continually supporting my mother, our family, and the many (too many) women (and men) who are fighting this disease. SO, join us on Sunday, November 7th, 2010 in Austin, TX to Race for the Cure!! Team Zsa Zsa would LOVE to have you. :)

12 comments:

Caroline said...

That is some dedication and very much worth it!! Way to go!! XO

Jessica said...

You rock! If I was near TX, I'd be right there with ya!

Anonymous said...

I have two aunts (one a survivor) walking in the Atlanta raace this year. I am so proud of them and for anybody else that can do this. Such a selfless thing to do in honor of somebody!

Unknown said...

Good for you! So proud of you! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Ms. Emmy N said...

I love participating in Race for the Cure, and have had friends that have done the 3-day walk.. they, like you, and your mother, are an incredible inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great thing to do! You're an inspiration!

Abby said...

Good for you and your mama! My mom is 7 years breast cancer free :) I share in your triumphs!

Kelsey Claire said...

What a wonderful thing for you to do together! My MIL is doing the 3 day here in Dallas this year and I wanted to do it, but my ol' hip wouldn't let me!

annalee said...

rejoicing over your sweet momma and all your miles:)

paula said...

yeah! my mom is a survivor :)

melissa said...

So happy that your mom is a survivor! I think it's wonderful that you participate in the walks to support her and so many others!

Heather said...

Love your dedication to this!! What a great cause to support!!