Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ranger Bob...

I am a stray dog magnet. I can't help it. I see a dog, I don't see an owner, I go into panic mode. Especially when busy streets are involved.


Does anyone remember the tale of Lucky Boots the Border Collie? "Lucky" is putting it mildly as he was dancing with death in middle of South Congress Avenue playing chicken with a school bus! Never mind I pulled my car horizontally across 2 lanes of traffic to get him.


I might need to go to one of those "split second decision making" classes. I could stand to brush up on my skills...


Back to Ranger Bob...I was pulling into my driveway last night when this flash ran out of my bushes and through the front yard. I realized it was a dog and my initial panic was that it was Rookie! As it ran across the driveway (right in front of my car...y'all don't even want to know what would have happened if I had hit it. 2 words...psych ward) I realized it was not Rookie, but was definitely a Terrier. I stopped my car and got out to get him just as he ran into my garage.


To make a long story short, he came inside and acquainted himself with a none-too-thrilled Rookie. Rookie was anti-hyped about my rescue and became less enthused with each frisky move "Hey" tried to place on him. He quickly earned the name "Hey" as he had no collar and I had to have something to call him. For instance, "HEY! Quit scratching at the back door!" "HEY! Don't potty in my house!" "HEY!! Don't hump my dog!!!"




He really is cute though, right?


Dave got home from work and wasted no time talking about making signs and canvasing the neighborhood. Ha! I was just about to bathe him (because it was TOO hot for him to be outside and he was STIN-KY!) when we saw a husband and wife walking through the neighborhood still dressed from work. In 103 degree Texas heat I figured they probably weren't out for a power walk! I walked outside with "Hey!" and asked if he was who they were looking for. She immediately shrieked, "RANGER BOB!!!" and reached out her arms to welcome her puppy back.




It was a happy ending as Ranger Bob was reunited with his family and Rookie could de-puff his chest and reclaim his status as an only child. :) All in a day's work....

9 comments:

Natalie said...

That was so sweet of you! Aww that dog looks like my cairn terrier! I'm sure the couple was very happy you had Ranger Bob!

Suburban Princess said...

Did they have any explanation for their dog being out in the heat all day?

I picked up a dog one day in -25 temps...the owner didnt notice he has slipped out behind her when she left for work!

Sara McCarty said...

Oh! You are such a good samariatan! You're getting lot of extra karma points for that happy reunion! So glad Ranger Bob got back to his parents.

AllThingsYummy said...

Oh, I love a story with a happy ending. So glad you were able to help save him.

melissa said...

So glad you saved Ranger Bob! I'm sure his owners were incredibly grateful. And your pup even more so to be king of the castle again!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

The world is so lucky to have people like you! So glad he got reunited with his family :)

Jax said...

Ranger Bob= best name ever.. haha.. :) And you are SO sweet! I too always stop for doggies. I even chased one down in a snow storm b/c I was scared he would freeze. I was running in heels in the slippery snow on the way home from work going "heeeere..puppy!" haha.. I am a magnent for strays as well and have DEFINITE issues with the last minute decision making thing. I pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway recently to save a puppy and then realized the shoulder narrowed and it was 5pm...aka rush hour traffic going FAST. I had no idea how I was going to get out to get the dog, let alone get back on the highway without being hit. *sigh* Puppy survived and ran the other way...and I obviously am here to tell about it. But I am SO with you. I just think "what if it was Gracie.. I'd want someone to stop and help her."

Miss Chelsea said...

Best dog name I've heard all day. Good work -- gold star for being a good citizen! =)

Vicki said...

I don't know who might have been happier that he found his way home...his owners or ME! :)
xoxo,