Monday, March 21, 2011

It only hurts when I'm awake....

Spring is here! I know that because I have a sunburn, my nails are broken and it hurts when I sit down to go to the bathroom.

Too much information?? Well, David and I put the petal to the medal this weekend and we did yard work until the cows came home (or until the sun went down because we don't have any cows...). We trimmed trees, pulled weeds, pulled out pretty much every bush in our flower beds and I worked for 2 hours digging up monkey grass that has over taken an entire flower bed.

Lots of crazy things were planted by the previous owner and we decided to start fresh and begin to get things the way we want them. But the way we want it takes a lot of work! And on Sunday (day 2) I may or may not have stepped on the end of a rake and the handle popped up and slapped me in the face! For a brief moment I thought it broke my cheek bone it hurt that bad. So I decided that yard work was dead to me and I went inside and started laundry. I'm only halfway through with that project. Can't we just buy new underwear??

But here are a few fun "spring-things" inside my house....

I used a few of the branches we trimmed and put them in a vase on my dining table. My co-worker gave me this cute "Happy Spring" sign for my birthday!

My $4 flowers I picked up at the grocery store really make a colorful splash in my living room....


And in random fashion, I thought I'd throw in a recipe for y'all. I went to Lynch and Ryan's house for dinner last night to watch some of the Madness and I was in charge of dessert. Since I didn't have a lot of time and couldn't move parts of my body very well I decided to go the easy route. Ice cream pie!

Ingredients:
  • Chocolate pie crust (the Oreo crusts are the best but I can't ever find them anymore. You can make your own with Oreos and butter blended and formed into a pie pan but I wasn't about to go there!)
  • 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell Cookies 'n Cream Ice Cream (You can use other cookies and cream ice cream but I'll just feel sorry for you that you don't have Blue Bell!! That's one of my favorite things about Texas! :)
  • Tub of Cool Whip

Here's the hard part...it will take you an entire 3 minutes. Ok, maybe 5: Let the ice cream soften and stir it until it's creamy. Dip about 3/4 of the softened ice cream into the pie crust. *You can freeze it at this point for about an hour. If I have time I usually do and let it harden before spreading the Cool Whip. Then spread the tub of cool whip on top and freeze it. It's best if you can freeze it for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. I find it easiest to slice with a pizza cutter.

Enjoy!!

11 comments:

mrs.mfc said...

I love the look of the branches in a vase! What a great idea. Loving the spring touches!

LC said...

I hear ya...yardwork is hard work...but it's worth it! I LOL'd at the rake incident...ouch!!! Question...where is that zebra print chair from? I'm in love.

Vanessa said...

I love having daffodils in the house! It always brightens things up and reminds me that yes, it is finally Spring!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the yardwork! I haven't gotten around to mine yet :( Pretty, pretty daffodils too! Love having fresh flowers around!

AllThingsYummy said...

Oh no, your poor cheek. I hope it's not too painful today.
I'm looking forward to spring. Your flowers are so pretty.

melissa said...

Yummm...ice cream pie! You definitely deserved a treat after all that hard work. I bet the yard looks great!

Jessica said...

Oh man, that pie looks good!!!

The Shabby Princess said...

YUM!!

Ingredients of a Woman said...

I feel your pain, we did the same thing last weekend and now my body hurts when I sit down.

That pie looks good.

Alba

lesli said...

that pie looks delicious and seems so easy! thanks for sharing, girlfriend!

Kate said...

Please drop this pie off at my house! : )